Monday, August 9, 2010

Run For Your Life

Running is one of the most effective forms of exercise, with many benefits. Those that run on a regular basis, whether they enjoy it or not, can tell you that it eventually becomes an addiction. After a while it becomes a part of your lifestyle, and you cannot live without it!!

Some of the many benefits of running include:-
- Weight loss
- Improved cardiovascular health
- Improved bone health
- Improved mood and brain function
- Better co-ordination
- Slows down the aging process
- Great "runner's high" feeling.

My first long distance run was a 10k run with minimal walk breaks in between which lead me to hate running for months and a knee injury.  But knowing it would be beneficial for me, I taught myself how to run properly from scratch, starting with an 8 week beginners program and eventually running a marathon.  And now I am a run addict! I do periodically take breaks (3 months give or take) from long distance running and focus on speed running, which not only adds variety for me, but my speed has improved 100 fold! So if you would like to learn more about how to start running send me a message.

Running on its own is great, but if you are looking to really improve your running skills you also need to focus on the following:
- Strength training for runners - follow a safe and effective strength training program designed to strengthen your muscles and improve running performance
- Yoga for runners - its very easy to get tight muscles from running so its important to have a great flexibility program that will help keep muscles from tightening
- Meal plan for runners - many runners make the mistake of eating poorly because they think they will burn off the calories.  Wrong thinking! Eating the right amount of food, and the right types of food will fuel your body for better performance.
- Avoid injury - common injuries such as knee injuries, tight IT (illiotibial) bands, ankle injuries should never go unchecked.  Visit your sports medicine clinic for a check up at least once a year (twice a year if you train for long distances such as 1/2 marathon and up). 
NOTE - very important to make sure you have the right running shoes for your type of feet!!

So get out there and enjoy the benefits of running!!! You can do it.

Special mention to my friend Giselle who is training for a 56k marathon!!!! A 42k marathon is challenging enough, let alone a 56k, but Giselle is going the extra mile.  Many hours of training are put into preparing for such a run so well done.  All who know her are very very proud!!
And also happy to hear that my friend Nyarai is continuing to progress with her running by increasing the time on a regular basis!!
Please all fele free to share some of your running experiences.  And if you live in Toronto and need a running buddy I am happy to link up!
On that note its time to get my speed training done!!

2 comments:

  1. I started walking with short periods of jogging about two and a half years ago as I was not enjoying going to the gym. The workouts were great, but I got tired of the creeps trying to pick up while I was doing ab crunches on the machine.

    It was after one particularly indulgent Christmas that my partner and I decided to get serious about the jogging and push ourselves to walk less and jog more on the route we had chosen and now we are jogging happily along. My aim when we started was to improve my endurance, I am great at speed over short distances, but never could go the distance!

    I also suffered some problems with knees, and found that the first session of yoga assisted with this.

    My resolve during winter is not that great as it is so cold outside at 5.15am when my partner and I usually go running... my suggestion! So I maintain my fitness level by jogging on the treadmill.

    Another great benefit of running I found is that I am more inclined to persevere when the going gets tough! It has a great effect on one's mental strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience with running. I am a fair-weather runner myself so come winter, and Canadian winters are quite brutal, the treadmill and some good music does it for me. Very proud of you and happy that you are seeing some great results with your running!!! Keep it up!
    Yoga goes hand in hand with running as you do need a good stretch at least once a week to maintain flexibility, as muscle tightness is common for many runners.

    ReplyDelete